Wednesday, August 25, 2010

An range by some other name.

Yesterday I was supposed to meet up with Randy at Callaway and hit some balls, but he couldn’t make it. The rest of the week for me is as busy as can be, same with Randy he wasn’t going to be able to make it out any other day. So I decided to go anyway, had the clubs in the truck already, and went to Legacy on the way home.

I chose Legacy because on their driving range you face east. Willow, for instance, faces west. Right into the sun and it’s really hard to see where your ball lands. Add in the face that you don’t have to trek your bag halfway around the course, like at Willow, and that their putting green is real nice and my mind was made up.

I got there about five o’clock. The sun was beaming down on the range. My outside temp reading when I got in my truck was 112°! FREAKING HOT! Went inside paid for my balls and went out to the range. Nice thing about Legacy, there are a lot of nice things, is they give you a choice to hit on either grass or the mats. Since I’m playing Sunday I picked the grass. I wanted to get in as much preparation as possible.

I couldn’t hit shit! I started out as I usually do 7i then my 5i and so on. Nothing was working. It was rather embarrassing. I mean these were not even close to a decent shot. Low, to the right, to the left, fat, thin, SKULLED! You name it I was doing it. It was like a display of terrible shots you never want to hit. After about 30 balls, all of which we horrible, I switched to my driver. Thank GOD. First shot I blasted to the far end of the range. I couldn’t help but wonder what the guys next to me were thinking after they witnessed that shot. Again, one after another I blasted shot after shot to other side of the range. Man did that feel good!

Here is a little side story that relates a bit. I work out in my garage with free weights three times a week. I currently have my workouts like this; Mon – Chest/Triceps, Wed – Back/Bicep and Fri – Shoulders/forearms & abs. I used to do my Chest and Triceps workout on Wednesday, but after a couple visits to the range I decided it wasn’t really smart to follow up a chest/triceps workout with a driving range session. So I switched to my current routine. I tell you this because I remembered it after I got done hitting ball and was walking over to the range. Man was I sore and could feel it all over. Dumbass, I thought to myself. I killed myself on Monday night and was sore all day long. I guess I was just too excited to get out and hit some balls that I forgot about my workout from Monday night.

So after I got done smashing some brand new TaylorMade range balls with my driver I went back to hitting my irons. This time I started out with my SW and just started hitting some small 80 yard shots. Much, much better, I worked on my SW for a while the switched to my PW and the 9i. That’s what it’s supposed to feel like. I’m kinda stumped at why I started off so bad. I can blame being tired from Monday’s workout, but I should have at least been making good contact. I was relieved knowing that I did end up hitting the ball pretty good. I think I’m going to start out with my driver Sunday morning before we tee off and see if it’s any different.

I did putt for about twenty minutes. My putter was on! I made about seven putts from beyond twenty feet. Anything that was within five feet was in the hole. That felt great. I started out really crappy, worked through my disaster and ended out the session with some really good putting. I was so exhausted after putting I went in the pro shop just to cool down.


While I was inside the pro shop I picked up a poker chip, When I played Legacy back in July I went from car to #1 tee box so I didn’t have time to pick one up. Now I have one from each round I’ve played now. Except for Las Vegas National and Conestoga, maybe “The Stoga” will have some now that they have been open longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment