I haven’t been out to the range in a few weeks. I’ve been really busy. I had to fly up to Boise last weekend and help my Mom out before she had knee surgery this past Monday. I had to get ready for that trip so my normal Driving Range Thursday had to be postponed due to packing.
So I found some time to break away from my weekend chores to go to Callaway for a bit and see what I could accomplish in a few hours. If you are not familiar with Vegas and August, it’s hot. Real hot! I left the house around 10:30am and it was already 102° out. Needless to say the range was empty, let alone the 9 hole course. Probably the least amount of people I have ever seen there, which makes it nice. I got my bucket and headed out to the mats.
I started out with my 7i. I hit it pretty good, wasn’t getting the good snap of the club hitting that ball, but I learned a while ago I have to warm up with swings before I start criticizing myself too much. I went from my 7i to my 5i, hit it for a bit then switched to my 9i. I was really happy with the way I was hitting the ball, some fat shots but not nearly as many as I’ve been hitting in the past. Broke out the big boy next, and man was on with it. I’ve been so happy with the way I’ve been hitting my driver of late, I was glad to see that my progress is moving forward consistently, not the two steps forward three steps back routine I’ve come accustomed to. This was at least the third time in a row, well actually fourth time, Legacy, Wildhorse and the last two times at the range, where I’ve been killing it with my driver. Today was no different. My accuracy is what I need to work on. 250 is nice but 250 where I want to be is way nicer!
After I finished up with my driver I went back to my 5i. This has been a problem club for me for a while. I just can’t get the ball to jump off the club like it does with my 7i, 8i or 9i. Not sure what it is, but its driving me crazy. I was hitting my 9i 150 (with wind at my back) and it was beautiful. My 5i on the other had been landing 160 to 165 on the fly. Not where it should be. I need at least another 20-30 yards out of that club. So that’s something I need to work on.
After my 5i I went back to my 8i. This time I grabbed one of my alignment rods and used it to align myself up with a target at 150 yards. I never use these rods and after today that’s going to change. I used a club the last time I went to the range, it helped. I have a flaw where I line myself up and I think that I’m aimed at my target, but I’m not. I figured this out the last round I played when, after hitting a ball dead left, one of the other members of our foursome said “Right where you were aiming.” What? That was not where I as aiming. That’s why I pulled out a club, laid it on the ground and started the process of correcting my alignment.
Well, today I made even more sense. I laid down my alignment rod. Ok, a side note, don’t be suckered in to purchasing these expensive alignment rods at golf retail stores. I got four bright yellow rods at Lowes for .94 each. After I laid down that rod I addressed the ball like the rod wasn’t there and was shocked when I looked down. In comparison to the rod I was aligned so far to the right. So I made the adjustment, boy did it feel weird. I felt so awkward; no way did this feel right. Took a swing and oh my God, right where I was aimed. So shot after shot I was hitting it right where I was aimed. As awkward as it felt I obviously was correct. I decided to give it a shot with my driver and see if it made a difference. As I addressed the ball I did the same thing that I had done with my irons. Laid down the rod and acted like it wasn’t there. Again, I was aimed to the right, by quite a bit. So I made the adjustment and while I was making my adjustment I noticed something that I had never noticed before. On my driver there is a small Callaway logo (the chevron looking logo) that is there as an Alignment tool. I never realized it. Complete dumb ass on my part to never realize that. I don’t know what made me look at my hand at that moment, maybe it was because I was really focusing in be aligned correctly that I notice I wasn’t using what was there to help. My thumb was to the right if the mark. I always grab my driver and apply my grip before I place it on the ground. I never looked at my grip once it’s on the club, sad that I’ve been gripping the club in the wrong place. So, with that adjustment along with utilizing the rod I swung the club. Straight as ruler and right where I was aimed. HOLLY SHIT! Was that it, was that the cause of so many of my problems, alignment? Let’s hope so. I’m playing Conestoga again next weekend. Going to go to the range on Tuesday or Wednesday this week with Randy, will be interesting to see what he thinks about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment